Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Welcome Aaron Michael

Psalms 127:3-5 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate. 

Since my heart attack was likely related to pregnancy and child birth I will start with Michael's birth.

All our babies were born at home except our oldest, Irene, who was born at Lancaster Community Hospital. When I found out I was going to have Michael we weren't sure what to do. The midwife we had for some of our other babies was going through some legal issues, so we didn't feel clear about having her. We didn't know of any others near by. Since we almost ended up in the hospital anyway when Rhoda was born we decided a hospital birth was our best option. I didn't even have a doctor, so now I had to decide which doctor I want! Edward had worked for several of the doctors in Red Oak and learned to know them well, so we were taking the children there when we had need for a doctor. We liked the doctors there, but there were only male doctors. Atlantic was a bit closer and they had several women doctors. In January the Atlantic hospital had open house for their newly remodeled OB department. We went to check it out. There I met Dr. Tressa Wilcox. I have seen her so often now she is more than just my doctor, she is a friend. :)

July 2, 2013 - We left for the hospital soon after midnight. I woke Irene and Annetta to tell them we're leaving. Labor was slow till a little before 10:00 things started happening fast and at 10:03 Aaron Michael was born. Everything went well, and we were very happy to have a little boy! Now our family was 5 girls and 4 boys. He weighed 6 lb 8 oz and was 19 1/2 in long.
In Daddy's arms, getting acquainted. :)

In the nursery with Dr. Wilcox.

He was a very relaxed, contented baby. He nursed well then went to sleep. One thing that was different at the hospital was all the things they did to the baby. They kept checking his blood sugar and told me it was staying too low. I would either have to nurse him some more or give some sugar water to get it up. He was sleeping soundly and I knew it would be practically impossible to wake him enough to nurse. I didn't think it was anything to be concerned about, but finally I gave permission to give some sugar water. I often regretted it. I could hardly get him to nurse after that. Edward stayed with me all afternoon. The hospital treats new parents to a gourmet meal. I do not remember all we had, but it was very good. Since I was such an experienced mom :) and everything was well, they let me go home that evening. Don Chupps were burning their old house and the children really wanted to watch that, so Edward went over there to pick them up and brought them all along to the hospital to bring us home. They had not had supper yet, so they stopped at Walmart for some food. Then the whole troop came to the hospital!
Almost two year old Rhoda meeting her new brother. Everyone was so excited.

And finally we were home with our sweet little boy.



No comments:

Post a Comment