Friday, January 23, 2015

Creighton University Medical Center

In my last post I left you with Edward and Annetta with Baby Michael on the parking lot. I had not fed Michael yet, so the first thing they had to do was go to Walmart and get a bottle. We had some sample formula at home that the hospital had given when he was born. The children had been begging to feed it to the cats, but I had not let them. There was this thought in the back of my mind that we should keep it for a while in case we need it.... After getting the bottle they went home. Edward was still in his everyday clothes, so he wanted to change before going to the hospital in Omaha.
Michael drinking his bottle before they left for Omaha.

When we left for Omaha with the helicopter they said it should take about 20 minutes to go the 50 miles. It was a beautiful day. I kept my eyes closed most of the time because it was a bit scary. This was my first time flying. The whole side seemed to be glass, so I had a good view of everything. It was a time of deep meditation. I had a heart attack. I didn't know how serious it was, but I knew some people die from heart attacks. Was I going to die? Was I really ready to die? I prayed and had such an assurance of peace with the Lord. It is something I cannot put into words how I felt so "carried". What scared me the most was the thought of leaving my children motherless. To me that has always been one of the saddest things that can happen. I pleaded with God to heal me for the sake of my family. After a while I opened my eyes and saw the Woodmen Tower and knew we were almost there. I am by nature a shy person and do not like to go to unfamiliar places.... definitely not by myself! God's grace was sufficient and He reminded me that I don't need to worry. They will be taking me wherever I need to be etc. EVERYTHING was out of my control. More on that later.

When we landed at Creighton there was a man at the door waiting for us. They immediately took me to the cath lab where I was surrounded with people. As they were pushing me around and getting me ready for a catheterization Dr. Priya followed asking me all kinds of questions... when did the pain start, what was I doing when it started, besides all the usual questions of whether you have any allergies to medicine etc etc. I remember having a chest ex-ray and ultrasound. Then they said they'll be giving me something to make me sleepy while they do the cath. I never felt sleepy, but later I didn't remember some things, so I wonder if I did sleep some and wasn't aware of it. They inserted the catheter at my wrist, which I heard later is more pleasant than if they do it in the groin. When they went in with the catheter I started getting severe pain again. Since it was a dissection I had, it is possible that when they put the dye in that it caused it to tear further. Someone told me they have to put two stents in. Some of that time is fuzzy in my memory. I do remember thinking the doctor sounds very impatient. After hearing some of the nurses' comments later in the week I realized that I had been in critical condition and he was trying to help me as fast as he could. When we came up to the 4th floor to the Cardiac Care Unit Edward and Annetta were there waiting for me. We still didn't know any thing except the fact that I had a heart attack and they put two stents in.

Helipad at Creighton. This pic was taken later in the week from the waiting room in the CCU.

No comments:

Post a Comment